Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Feminism. This Ain't Your Mother's Woman's Liberation Movement.

I have not always been a Feminist.

Some may think Feminism and Lesbianism are interchangeable, but that is simply not the case. I was born a Dyke, but was raised to believe women (as a group) were inferior to men. I became a Feminist when I was fortunate enough to find a mentor who changed my way of thinking. She knew in her heart that women and men share the same likelihood of being creative, intelligent, strong, dedicated, capable and filled with unlimited potential. She also knew that men could be as nurturing, compassionate, emotional, and loving as women. She lived her life according to her beliefs, and through her actions and words she molded me into a lover of all women.

Feminism is the belief that men and women should be equal politically, economically and socially. It is not about women hating men, women feeling superior or women wanting to be given a free ride.

We just want a level playing field.

All that being said, I am now beginning to look at men, and my relationships with them, as an area of my life that needs to be redefined. I am not terribly interested in the male perspective anymore, especially when discussing issues primarily affecting women, or in conversations where a male perception is irrelevant. This is not to say that males should not have an opinion, share an opinion, or express an opinion, I just want them to keep those thoughts to themselves unless I ask for them.

As a woman, my life is fundamentally different than the lives of any of my male acquaintances. I view the world differently, I behave differently, I have dissimilar interests, needs, wants, plans, and philosophies. Not all aspects of my life are diametrically opposed to those of my male friends, but enough are that I feel much less kinship with familiar men than I do with unfamiliar women.

Having reached the ripe old age of nearly 41, I have finally decided that from women I can draw all the strength, courage and audacity I require to live life on my terms. I have female heroes, female role models; goddesses and crones who are there to help struggling girls and women fit more comfortably into their own skins.

Separate but equal. It has been the struggle of groups of disenfranchised and marginalized persons since the dawn of time. Women are still struggling, but we will overcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home