Sunday, March 26, 2006

Loving An Easy Dog Is Easy. Loving A Hard Dog Is Hard.

My MacKenzie is an enigma. She is a beautiful, comical, overgrown puppy clown. She has been my faithful and loyal companion for six years, ever since she was rescued from a hellish existence as a battered backyard dog.

MacKenzie; however, has a dark side.

Perhaps, as we believe, my sweet girl was kicked in the head once too often as a puppy. It may be natural prey drive. It may just be that she's like everyone else in the world, and has pissy days when she forgets to be the sweetheart I know and love.

MacKenzie, aka "the Shark", has a hate on for dogs smaller than she is. Not always, but too frequently for a multi-dog family, and a family whose life revolves around dogs of all ages, sizes and breeds. MacKenzie has attacked and injured other dogs, on more than one occassion, and will certainly do it again if given the opportunity.

It is my job, as Kenzie's guardian, to ensure that she is safe, and that others are safe around her. We accomplish this with the use of muzzles, baby gates and careful supervision. MacKenzie is on medication to lessen her anxiety, gets plenty of love, attention, exercise, and is fed a raw diet. 90% of the time things are fine.

Until they are not.

This has been a tough week, emotionally, for a lot of reasons. As with most people who live with others, either human, canine or feline, I am sometimes guilty of taking my frustration out on those I love the most. MacKenzie lunged at a smaller dog, and I snapped, telling her that she was going down if she did anything like this one more time.

I have no intention of giving up on my beautiful, damaged girl. She is 90% wonderful, and brings me countless blessings. I was hurt, angry, frustrated and not coping well at all, which is, as it sounds, an excuse for my bad behaviour. I yelled at this loving, trusting animal, scaring her, myself and my family.

I'm sorry, Kenz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home