Thursday, October 13, 2005

Know-It-Alls Are Such A PITA!

First things first, I'm opinionated. I know this, I accept this, I'm all good with this. There are few issues/events/situations/beliefs about which I do not have a fully formed opinion (ask Christine and Angelina, they both would love to talk about just how dogmatic I am) but I do not impose my beliefs on everyone, nor do I generally give unsolicited advise.

There are people who make the spaces around them toxic with their behaviours. Whiners, blamers, cling-ons, drama queens, loafers, everyone knows someone in the workplace, at school, at the gym, on a sports team, at church, who makes it really difficult to be civil.

The know-it-alls get me.

Usually self-educated about a variety of topics, these people spew their knowledge regardless of whether anyone wants, needs or cares about the information being "shared". They see themselves as "helpful" when in fact obnoxious is closer to the truth. Asking the advice of a professional is one thing, having the views of an amateur presented as fact and then given, unbidden, is totally another.

I have an acquaintance who feels the need to make her opinions known in spite of the fact that she is rarely ever asked, and her behaviour is unwelcome by some and resented by others, myself included. She often finds herself "on the outside, looking in" because people prefer to avoid her, or, in some cases, dislike her so intensely that being near her is not an option. She knows that people dislike her, but does she understand why?

Of course not.

In her mind, people are "cliquish", or they are envious, or they are somehow at fault and it can't possibly be her responsibility. Of course, her brutal honesty (emphasis on the brutal), and unwanted advice, are offered "because she cares".

Yeah whatever. Busybodies, know-it-alls and self-important people often find themselves alone, lonely and bitter. Too bad they often never realize that they are their own worst enemies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home