Saturday, September 17, 2005

Terry Fox Still Makes Me Cry.

All day people have been talking about the fact that this is the 25th "anniversary" of the moment Terry Fox was forced to end his Marathon of Hope in Thunder Bay, Ontario.

All day I have fought a losing battle with the lump in my throat, and the tears that threaten to fall at any moment.

Terry Fox was a true hero to countless Canadians, but especially to members of my generation, who were just coming of age when this unassuming, selfless young man began the journey that would make him a legend. I clearly remember the day Terry appeared on television, barely able to control his emotions, telling his fellow Canadians that cancer had returned to attack his body yet again and he could not go on. I also remember where I was and what I was doing when the terrible news of Terry Fox's death, at just 22 years of age, was announced. I have never again experienced the complete and utter sadness I did that day. Everyone around me also felt a devastating personal loss on June 28, 1981. It was heartbreaking to witness the depth of despair caused by his passing. Terry Fox took small pieces of the hearts of everyone he touched with his raw courage and total determination. He thought he would beat cancer and finish his run, and when he couldn't, hope and faith took a body blow.

The sad truth is that, had Terry Fox been diagnosed with cancer today, he might well have survived, thanks in great part to the millions of dollars that have been raised in his name for cancer research.

This man, so approachable, so much like thousands of typical Canadian sons and brothers, so larger-than-life after his death, once said "Somewhere the hurting must stop."

It will, but not today.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, remember where I was when Terry Fox died; I was a member of the nurses Honour Guard, a spontaneously created entity composed of those of us on duty at the Royal Columbian Hospital the night that Terry Fox died, who bore witness to his passing. The news, expected yet dreaded, spread instantly throughout the hospital when this amazing man lost his personal battle with cancer. I was working the graveyard shift on 4East, the Maternity Ward, and, with my fellow nurses, walked the short hallway to stand outside the doors of 4West, the ward that had been the final home of Terry Fox. We wept as the stretcher holding the physical remains of this most amazing man was wheeled by us, accompanied by the many mourners who had shared the agony of his death watch. Terry Fox lived his last years selflessly and was ushered into his final journey surrounded by loving friends and family. I am, and will ever be, thankful that I had the opportunity to witness, with the utmost of respect, the passing of this Canadian/world hero.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home