Monday, August 15, 2005

I Think I Understand The Term"Crime Of Passion" Now.

First things first. This is a rant, a vent, I do not intend to take action or follow through on threats, I just need to get this vitriol out of my system. I need to spew venom.

The construction project at our Co-Op is going to be the end of me.

I don't care that the crews here are "just doing their jobs", I hate them. It is true that saws don't cut stuff, people with saws cut stuff, and they have finally cut my last tie with civility.

I really, truly want the earth to open up and swallow every one of the carpenters, roofers, jackhammerers, tradespersons and gofers employed by the contractor who has decided to destroy not only this summer, but next summer and the connecting year for every poor inmate who is unfortunate enough to live here.

They are destroying my sanity, but what is far worse is that they are making my dogs' lives a walking nightmare. Poor Clio is terrified from 7:30 AM until 4:00 PM daily, and no longer has a yard in which to "do her thing". Kirby is losing fur in clumps, and will soon resemble a very large Mexican Hairless dog.

Intellectually I understand that the building is not safe and needs these huge repairs, and, as Christine often states, we did know this project would be happening before we moved in. I don't care, I don't give a flying fuck, they are making everyone miserable and it sucks.

I want the scaffolding gone. I want the stupid bridges made of plywood and planks gone. I want the piles of sand and rubble gone. I want to shove each and every hammer, rip saw, jackhammer and drill so far down the throat of the nearest tormentor, I don't care who he or she is.

I keep saying we should file a class action suit against whoever the criminals were that conspired to allow this place to be built so badly. I really do believe we deserve compensation for the 18 months of hell this will end up being. Every weekday is the same God damned unending litany of unbearable noise, dirt, inconvenience and people in our space. Eventually it will end, but the simmering hostility caused by this assault on our membership is growing daily. We have Members crawling catwalks to get to their homes, we have Members with no access to their own patio doors, who have to settle for whatever air circulates through their windows. We have Members who have lost all privacy, and whose homes have been stripped down to plywood.

I understand how people are driven to kill, I really do.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, the construction is terrible, but strangely enough, I seem to be coping with it. I lived through the nightmare of Skytrain construction back in 2002, and I think it numbed me to the surrounding chaos that the co-op is experiencing today. Skytrain construction crews were working with piledrivers 24-hours a day to get back on schedule, and literally I went without sleep for months. When one of the construction workers was killed in an accident, my co-workers actually grilled me on my whereabouts. I was crazed.

I'll admit this reno sucks hard, but after living through the year+ of Skytrain construction, I feel like I can handle this.

Liz

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home