Friday, July 15, 2005

But I'm Not A Cheerleader!

For anyone who does not get the reference, "But I'm A Cheerleader" was a wickedly funny movie released in 1999. It tells the story of Natasha, a teenaged young woman who is sent to a Homosexual "Rehab Camp" by her idiotic parents when they suspect she is a Lesbian.

The film was dark, funny, sad and smart. The fact that there really are "Ex-Gay" camps is not at all amusing.

Apparently camps designed to scare queer kids straight exist all over North America. Those in charge use a variety of methods that are questionable at best, abusive at worst.

Let me say this yet again, for the umpteenth (but probably far from last) time, Gays and Lesbians have no more control over their sexual identities than straight people do. Who in hell would choose a life of discrimination, abuse, disenfranchisement and in some cases, assault/imprisonment/torture and/or death? It is not a "lifestyle choice", it is sexual assignment.

Don't get me wrong, though. If I had the option of taking a pill and becoming straight, I would never even consider it. I love my orientation, I feel no shame, guilt or regret. I have missed out on nothing and so I embrace my Lesbianism, cherish it, flaunt it, celebrate it. Those who are loudly vocal in their belief that I should desire change need to find someone else to harrass, 'cause I'm here and I'm proudly queer. Deal with it.

I find it terribly frightening that parents and families of Gay and Lesbian children and young adults would force their children into programs whose sole purpose is to make them into something they are not. It has been proven, time and time again, that no amount of physical/psychological/verbal/mental or spiritual abuse can make gays straight. It just makes them self-conscious, angry, afraid, and sometimes, tragically, suicidal. It turns them into self-hating, self-deceiving people who feel compelled to "play it straight".

Gay and Lesbian youth still face the same prejudices and outright hatred faced by those of us who were young adults in the 80s, but there is good news. Young Queers are smarter, more vocal, less apt to put up and shut up. They will overcome.

Gimme an "L"
Gimme an "E"
Gimme an "S"
Gimme a "B"
Gimme an "I"
Gimme an "A"
Gimme an "N"

Go little Dykelettes, go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home