Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Things Need to Change

I nourish an on-again, off-again obsession about the absolutely shameful fact that child poverty exists in this country.

Today I met a little girl who brought me to tears.

She was probably six or seven, although she was clearly undernourished, and might have been older. She had serious tooth decay. Her clothes were ill-fitting. She had that haunted, desperate look that hungry children have, and she already has that look of abject hopelessness that destroys the soul. She was dirty, smelled bad, and looked really tired. She should have been in school. She would have fit right in with a group shot of children from a third world country.

Except that this is Vancouver, one of the "best cities in the world to live". Fuck. In Canada, one of the "have" countries in a world filled with "have-not" countries. It's appalling, it's a fucking disgrace.

How did this little girl fall through the cracks? How did we let this happen? If nothing changes for this little girl, what does life hold for her? Substance use? Unwanted preganancies? Abuse? Lack of educational opportunities? The sex trade? Welfare?

The little girl looked totally lost, but she wasn't. Her mother was with her, although she paid precious little attention to her vulnerable daughter. I was able to find out her name, where she attends school, when she does attend, the street on which she lives. I found out that yes, in fact, she was hungry. I asked whether she would like a sub and a drink. She asked whether I could get one for her mom, too. I did. Her mother did not react at all when a total stranger approached her child, and she seemed to take my buying her lunch as a normal activity.

Buying one lunch for one little family will not change anything. I'm a realist, I know that this little soul is doomed unless there are some major repairs made to Canada's social safety net. I walked around the grocery store with little "H", picking up some of her favourite foods. I was quite prepared to spend every cent I had with me, but this little girl, so accustomed to having nothing, wanted little. $20 covered her "wish list". She did ask me to buy cigarettes for her mom, but I had to refuse her request. I bought some fresh fruit and milk instead. Her mother was unimpressed; oh well.

This is my dream; unattainable maybe, unrealistic probably, but it is my vision:
I want a country wide program that ensures a level playing field for all Canadian children. I want a guaranteed standard of living, not welfare rates, but a dollar figure recognized by the United Nations as being adequate for physical, emotional, spiritual and educational requirements until the age of majority. It is not acceptable that accident of birth gives some children such an advantage over others. It is not acceptable that children raised in poverty are so often robbed of the opportunity to reach their potential. Life should not be merely a struggle for survival, but sadly, for kids like "H", it is just that. All children should arrive at school well rested, well fed, clean and healthy. Not just middle class kids from the 'burbs, but sweet dirty-faced little girls from East Van, too.

I gave "H" my card, and told her to call me if she needed help with anything. She said she would. I know she won't. As I watched her walk away, clutching her two grocery bags full of "treasures" (her word, not mine, apples and milk are not treasures to me) I was certain I'll never see "H" again.

I hope I'm wrong about what life has in store for her.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alpha, I too share the same dream. As a country, and a province, we are terrible to those less fortunate, especially children. It makes me so sad. I hope little H understands what you've done for her one day.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home