Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Nights are long when sleep won't come.

My partner wears not one, but two "night splints" (I refer to them as "bigfoots") to bed every night to correct Plantar Fasciitis. And she is hooked up to a C-Pap Machine for her Sleep Apnea. Add at least three dogs, the air conditioner, traffic noise from 12th Avenue and one would think she would stumble, haggard and exhausted, out of the family bed every morning.

Nope. She's up, obscenely early, bright eyed and ready to go each and every day.
It's gotta be the earplugs. She is unnaturally addicted to her earplugs. We actually have a little ritual on "new earplug night".

Then there's me. No gear. No plugs. Almost no sleep.

Before anyone says it's the noise, the dogs, the whatever....it isn't. I've *never* slept peacefully through the night, not since early childhood. I've tried medication (prescribed and self-administered), every kind of relaxation exercise and technique ever invented, you name it, I've tried it. I'm doomed to catch a few hours here and there when the sleep gods smile on me.
Only people who are low-grade tired all the time understand how it impacts on life. If I'm going to get any meaningful REM sleep, it's between 7:00 and 11:00 AM, when everyone else is busy leading normal lives.

I understand my inability to sleep. I've endured every wonky theraputic intervention anyone has thrown at the cause, but here I am , at 40+, still staring at the dark ceiling at 3:00 AM .
The only plus in this situation is that my dogs are thrilled. Bed buddies all morning, bed buddies all night, woo hoo! Dogs sleep A LOT, and they seem to enjoy having company....as long as we remember our places. We keep trying to explain to our canine cuddle buddies that a King-sized bed is as big as it gets, but they don't seem to get it.

Just like me and sleep.....I just don't get it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever had one of the canines wake you up barking and freaking out because *they* had a bad dream? LOL

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happens here all the time! We have Clio who digs her bed in her sleep and barks. But of course, I have ear plugs so I don't hear anything!

Chris

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Deb! Cool concept .... this blogging thing. I certainly know more about you now than I did - even with the Landscaping meetings in mind ... lol :-)

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home