Tuesday, May 03, 2005

About a boy....

....dog.

His name is Kirby. He came to us as a foster dog ("HE'S NOT STAYING, HE'S A FOSTER DOG!") That was almost six years ago.

He's a mutt. A bodacious, beautiful, bouncing, baby brown boy. I love him with a passion that borders on obsession. People have "heart dogs", the dog that defines their relationship with all dogs that come after. Kirby is my heart dog.

Kirby is , to put it nicely, as sharp as a rock. He's a dim bulb, but he's gorgeous, think a canine Ben Affleck. He is afraid of everything that moves, the result of his life before he came to us; except when he is at home, in the middle of his harem. He's surrounded by females here, and everyone (except the cat) dotes on Studly Boy. (Chris calls him Spudly Boy - The Half-Baked Russett) Here he is safe, and loved and protected. Here he never knows fear or hunger or lonliness or uncertainty. On the other hand, here he is "alpha'd" by five female dogs (one who is blind and brain injured) and a cat, but I'm not sure he gets that....

My love for this sweet, damaged dog is so intense that I lose sleep (a lot of sleep) worrying about the day he is no longer here. Kirby brings out the best in me, but he also brings out the warrior, the sword swinging goddess of war that will slay anything and anyone who wants to cause him harm. What is it with jerks who, when told that Kirby is shy and scared, and they should back off, say stupid things like "oh, ALL dogs love me". Mine doesn't. Or "you need to toughen him up", hell no I don't. He's perfect just the way he is.

Only people who share their hearts and lives with dogs understand how deep and strong the bond is. We love them so much and they are with us for far too short a time. When I come home from work and he bounces and "roo-roos" his hello, my heart melts. At that moment in time it's just me and him in a perfect place. How do people survive without that?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

he is the best spud muffin ever. lol. those who he truly trusts and loves are sooo lucky to be in his "circle of trust" lmao

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha, ha, ha! I think one has to be female to be in his 'circle of trust' Very funny!

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home