Saturday, January 01, 2011

Resolution.

It's unlike me to make New Years' resolutions. I generally view the activity as simply setting myself up for failure. This year, however; I have made a resolution, well more of a promise to myself really, I am finally taking total responsibility for my own health.

My doctors...all of them, will be happy to see the end of a patient who has been consistently passive in her care. It's simple, it was easy, I just let things happen and then wondered why nothing ever changed. Nothing changed because I didn't care.

Then Multiple Sclerosis happened. Even with that diagnosis I really ignored the ways that self care and patient education could eliminate, or at least minimize, some of the issues that I faced while living with this disease.

I know a lot of people who are suffering with horrific illnesses that are making each day a living hell, or are going to kill them prematurely, often after great suffering. I also know that most of these people are fighting to stay as healthy as possible for as long as possible. They don't sit back and piss and moan. They act, they challenge, they discover.

I've long since known that there are some simple ways I could alleviate many of my symptoms....the fatigue, the pressure on my joints, the aching muscles, the forgetfulness. My body carries far too much weight, punishing my knees, especially. I don't get nearly as much exercise as I should, especially since the dogs in my life started dying....I lost all motivation. My physical health, mental health and spiritual health took a huge hit when our family was decimated, but the truth is I never really took responsibility for my own well being, ever.

Until now. I am losing weight steadily, in a healthy way that feels good for a variety of reasons. About 70 lbs so far, through smarter eating and more exercise, which gets easier and more enjoyable with every pound shed. I have energy, I'm requiring much less sleep, my body is no longer craving rest just to survive. I'm now making lists of chores I want to complete during my extra waking hours, and I'm getting them done.

I'm not on any program, I don't buy pre-made meals, go to weigh-ins or meetings. I'm eating foods that nourish my body, and I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm not. It's working for me, I have a built in reward system.

I'm not suggesting anyone else can or should do what I'm doing. This is personal, I'm doing this for me, for my own self care. I'm 46 years old and do not want to waste another day....I am fortunate that my disease has not progressed to a point where I can't do something to help myself.

I wish everyone I know who suffers a chronic or terminal illness could make things more bearable so easily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home