Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Why "Normal" Makes Me Cry.

I have two young friends, a happily married couple, who recently welcomed a baby son to their small family.

I'm sure life is not perfect for them, it never is, but they are healthy, happy, good people, busy with family (human and canine), work and the events of daily life. They are active in their community and volunteer for several worthwhile organizations.

The thing that makes this couple especially important to me is the fact that they adore their baby boy. To many, if not most people, that's a no-brainer. Couples get pregnant, welcome babies, fall in love with them, then raise them to be good, decent adults.

Not always.

My parents adopted children that they didn't want, for reasons known only to them. Childhood is something we survived, and adulthood is something I'm navigating with varying degrees of success on any given day. The scarring is far too deep for me to ever hope for "normal", but "okay" will do.

The sweet, loved, wanted, sheltered, beautiful baby boy with whom I am blessed to share a relationship is being raised by parents who will make sure he always has what he needs, even if he doesn't always have everything he wants. He'll be taught to be confident, but not haughty, he'll have opportunities to see how others live, so that he doesn't assume every child is as fortunate as he is, and it will teach him empathy and compassion. He will learn to respect others, which will also teach him self-respect. He will know that violence and hatred have no place in his family, and that there is a peaceful solution to every problem, even if it seems hard to find.

I hope that my darling "nephew" leads a charmed life. I wish only the very best for him, and will always do what I can to make that happen. May he only know enough disappointment to keep him healthy, and may his victories be many and sweet.

This little guy already has the best start any child can have...parents who love each other and him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home